Human Resource Blog

Where HR Professionals Seek Answers

A Practical Source For Your Daily HR Needs.Lets Build An HR Blog Community Together! Want To Share Your HR Knowledge Or Gain Knowledge Through Other Professionals?Lets Discuss HR!


What state should we withhold?

We have an employee who submitted paperwork and his address reads Florida but he is working in Maryland?

Should we withhold Maryland taxes from his check?

I do know that Florida has no state withholding.


If the employee is working in Maryland, he is a Maryland employee and you withhold Maryland taxes. This is true, regardless of where he lives. Even if he lived on Mars (which is not a state, but as far as we know has no income tax) you would withhold Maryland income taxes from his check.

In some cases, the employee can file a Maryland tax return next April and receive a full or partial refund on his state income taxes. But that is between him and the state of Mayland.

If the employee was working in Florida for a company based in Maryland, or was working from his home office in Florida, the answer would be different. But that is not the case here.

Tags: , , , ,

This entry was posted on Friday, May 15th, 2009 at 2:07 pm and is filed under
Compensation, Human Resources Management.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

  • [ Back ]
  • WP-SpamFree by Pole Position Marketing

Home Ask a Question Archives

© 2008, All Rights Reserved