I have a employee that was a no show for 3 shifts so I sent last pay via cert. mail , 2 weeks later get a call from former employee saying the address she give her sisters she is not living there any longer and I must stop payment and re-issue check. She can pick up check at post office. Do I really have to have check at my office for her ?
Each state has different requirements for when a last check needs to be paid to a terminated employee. In this situation, you were compliant on your end by issuing the check to her last known address (keep copies). I am not sure why the employee could not cash the check that was issued to her. However, if the former employee is requesting a stop pay and re-issue she must have provided you with a new address, you can simply send the check to the new address.
I would document and copy all correspondence with the former employee.
Leave a Reply
- Attendance Management (1447)
- Benefits (2036)
- Compensation (2351)
- Employment Training (329)
- Hiring and Staffing (1019)
- Human Resources Management (4855)
- Labor Laws (1593)
- Management / Leadership Development (357)
- Performance Management (247)
- Structural Development (41)
- Termination (749)
- Workplace Health & Safety (348)
- Workplace Management (503)