Can my staff take unemployment if I, the employer, take maternity leave in the state of Washington?
Washington State is an employer at will state, so an employer or employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice. If you are closing your business during your maternity period, yes your employees can collect.
Another aspect to consider is that you can layoff your employees during your maternity period for lack of work or temporary closure of the business. In either case the reason your employees are not working is not through any fault of their own, and should be able to collect. You should contact the unemployment office for additional clarification.
Leave a Reply
- Attendance Management (1447)
- Benefits (2036)
- Compensation (2351)
- Employment Training (329)
- Hiring and Staffing (1019)
- Human Resources Management (4855)
- Labor Laws (1593)
- Management / Leadership Development (357)
- Performance Management (247)
- Structural Development (41)
- Termination (749)
- Workplace Health & Safety (348)
- Workplace Management (503)