Human Resource Blog

Where HR Professionals Seek Answers

A Practical Source For Your Daily HR Needs.Lets Build An HR Blog Community Together! Want To Share Your HR Knowledge Or Gain Knowledge Through Other Professionals?Lets Discuss HR!


Live in CA but work in AZ

Does the CA PTO/Vac/Carryover law apply to someone who lives in CA but whose work location is in AZ? Thanks.

The general rule of thumb is that employees are entitled to work protections set forth by state in which the employee is performing his work duties. Thus, an individual who resides in California but is performing work in Arizona would usually be subject to Arizona employment laws.

The Department of Industrial Relations doesn’t address this matter specifically; so, an absolute answer is not possible. If the employer is located in Arizona and the employee’s work is performed in Arizona, then it’s even more so that the employee would be subject to Arizona employment laws. However, if the employer is located in California and the employee performs some work in California, even temporary work, he may have protections under California law.

It may be in your best interest to contact a lawyer who specializes in California employment laws. Considering that earned vacation time is considered earned wages in California, you don’t want to be faced with a wage claim. Thus, it may be worth the investment in a knowledgeable lawyer to avoid an even more costly expense later on.

This entry was posted on Saturday, September 12th, 2015 at 7:46 pm and is filed under
Labor Laws.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

  • [ Back ]
  • WP-SpamFree by Pole Position Marketing

Home Ask a Question Archives

© 2008, All Rights Reserved