Human Resource Blog

Where HR Professionals Seek Answers

A Practical Source For Your Daily HR Needs.Lets Build An HR Blog Community Together! Want To Share Your HR Knowledge Or Gain Knowledge Through Other Professionals?Lets Discuss HR!


Full-time to Part-time

Does the employer need to provide an employee something in writing stating the acknowledgment and approval of the request to go from Full-time to Part-time status? Is there a general guideline and best practice for this process?

There is no federal law requiring private employers to provide written notice to employees regarding changes to their schedules. Some states have adopted regulations that mandate employers to provide written notifications for changes in employment status. Most of these laws refer to salary/wage adjustments or termination notices. Still, it’s important to know of any applicable law in your state.

Best practice is to have written confirmation of the status change.

If the employee requests the change, then ask him/her to put the request in writing. The company’s approval of the request and effective date should also be in writing and provided to the employee.

If the employer is mandating the adjustment, then provide a letter to the employee stating the status change, its effective date and a brief reason. The reason should of course be legal, non-discriminatory, and business related. Keep it brief i.e. financial hardship or reduced operational needs. It’s also best practice to provide at least a two week notice period if possible and have the employee sign the letter to confirm his/her receipt of it.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 at 1:01 pm and is filed under
Human Resources Management.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

  • [ Back ]
  • WP-SpamFree by Pole Position Marketing

Home Ask a Question Archives

© 2008, All Rights Reserved