Human Resource Blog

Where HR Professionals Seek Answers

A Practical Source For Your Daily HR Needs.Lets Build An HR Blog Community Together! Want To Share Your HR Knowledge Or Gain Knowledge Through Other Professionals?Lets Discuss HR!


Employee Certification

Our insurance requires all bartenders and waitress to have Servsafe Alcohol Certificate. One of my employees has not provided me with hers to forward to the insurance underwriter. Can I suspend her or do I have to hand her a final check and terminate? This certificate is required to work at our restaurant.

It’s best to suspend the employee, not terminate her. Let her know that she is no longer allowed to work until she provides the certification required for her job. It’s best practice to provide the employee a letter stating she is suspended effective immediately pending receipt of the certification, and a timeframe for which she must provide the certification or be terminated, maybe a week or two. Though a written letter is not required, it may be beneficial if the employee is eventually terminated and she applies for unemployment.


This entry was posted on Thursday, August 10th, 2017 at 2:28 pm and is filed under
Workplace Management.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

  • [ Back ]
  • WP-SpamFree by Pole Position Marketing

Home Ask a Question Archives

© 2008, All Rights Reserved